Staten Island Family Divorce Attorney

Paternity Attorney in Staten Island

Staten Island Divorce Lawyer for Paternity Cases

Are you a mother who needs to establish the paternity of your child in order to collect child support? Have you been alleged to be the father of a child for whom you want to determine paternity? I can guide you through the legal process of establishing or disproving paternity of a child. If you need to establish the paternity of your child in Staten Island, Brooklyn, or in the New Jersey counties of Monmouth or Middlesex, you can do so with my legal assistance.

Paternity Cases With a Staten Island Divorce Attorney

The Paternity process legally establishes the biological father of a child when it is uncertain or has not been previously established. Paternity arises as a legal issue in cases of child support but it can also be an issue when it comes to other family law areas, such as adoption, custody, visitation, inheritance, and health care. In New York, clear and convincing proof of paternity is required. This proof can be accomplished through DNA testing.

DNA testing is usually required when one party contests the allegations of paternity. An alleged father may contest paternity when required to pay child support payments for a child he believes is not his. A mother may contest paternity when a father tries to gain custody or visitation rights to a child which he believes is his. Paternity can also be established through circumstantial evidence, such as when a man accepts a child as his own and raises the child. If he does not contest the paternity of this child during a certain time period, then he may be considered the legal father and be responsible for the child's financial support.

Paternity matters have lifelong financial and emotional implications for all parties involved. It is important to have a full understanding of your legal rights before you admit or deny paternity of a child. I can help protect your legal rights and fully inform you of the legal consequences of your paternity issue.

Contact me today for legal counsel regarding any paternity case.